Saturday, March 22, 2014

Progress through Capstone

Ever since I first heard about the Capstone Project for the major, I've been going through what I would ultimately do in my head. I don't really care about the fact that I have to perform it...I just want to do justice to the four years I've spent in the program, and since I'm also graduating, in college as well. My project will focus on unconscious and conscious feelings and memories regarding my dad.

I started with a series of slam and sound poems, each one repetitive and fragmented, like our memories. One of them is called "Aluminum," which navigates some pretty treacherous waters. I then started working on a series of short stories, most of them one to two pages in length. They aren't necessarily flowing or methodical. They, like the poems, are uniquely discombobulated.

By the end, I'm hoping that this project will help me move on and grow as a person. The creative writing program helped my writing grow by leaps and bounds, no doubt about it, because my writing used to be very generic. I've mostly been writing late at night, and I have a lot of work still to do. I wish I can say that this project has gone swimmingly so far. That wouldn't be accurate, as it has been difficult. Maybe emotional would be the best word. I can only do a little at a time because of that, but I will make sure that I stay on course.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, good. Keep going, say more, maybe post some of what you have so far? and maybe start working in the reflection and process papers which might help you to think further from some other perspectives, etc.

    ReplyDelete